Saturday, June 14, 2014

Costume: Haruka (Free!)

I love Free! Iwatobi Swim Club. That show. It is such a beautiful story of school age friendship. Also I love swimming and feel for Haruka and his desire to just do ALL the swimming.


The first interation of this costume was a rush job for A-Fest 2013 with whatever materials I had on hand. The wig was my Scout's Ma's wig that I slicked back and the swim trunks were made from left over black metallic spandex and some purple lining I heat and bonded on (had to do that while wearing them, it was an interesting experience). I didn't have time to make the jacket so I decided I'd do some freestanding binding and cover that with a towel draped around my shoulders. It wasn't the most beautiful costume but it worked and apparently everyone thought I had the towel and only the towel. (Success?)


I've since remade the trunks in actual swimsuit material, got a jacket from eBay (because I rather drop $30 than spend $20 and four days making it and likely have it get ruined by chlorinated pool water) and got a more appropriate wig and some blue contacts too. I still rock the towel at times though, especially when outside in summer. :D


Let's just say I love this costume even if I myself don't look like Haruka. It's because Free! is so fun and the meet ups are a freaking blast. Even if we spend most of them swimming instead of taking photos.


Series: Free!
Construction Time: ~2 days
Cost: $66.45
Materials and Construction:
$11.50 Wig
$31.06 Jacket (ebay)
$11.94 purple nylon tricot
$11.94 black nylon tricot
On hand:
elastic
thread
flip flops
towel
binding material
contacts
Debut: A-fest 2013, Redone at Katsucon 2014
Final Appearance: Still in Rotation

No comments:

Post a Comment