Thursday, March 27, 2014

Costume: Glynda Goodwitch (RWBY)


Basically as soon as I saw the first episode of RWBY I knew I wanted to be Glynda. She's so kickass and cool and her costume at first glance looks pretty darm normal. And a friend of mine was super excited to hear that since he wanted a cosplay group of the entire cast of RWBY.


I never realized how tiny she is until now. I'm a size 2 and I look way bigger than her.
I decided to push ahead of the rest of the group and get Glynda done for Ikkicon (I have so few warm costumes you see) and it only took one alnighter to have that happen. That would be when I also started learning how not that practical Glynda's outfit is. Since I was going to wear her for a winter con first I altered the design to some solid black thermal leggings and a knee length skirt (honestly she seems more the type to wear a knee length skirt). Her top seems like it should be made from a cotton or something else crisp in order to do the puffy sleeves and wrist ruffles but the only way to get it to fit right everywhere else without a ton of seams was to use a stretch material. I went with the stretch since that made fitting easier and I had some in stock.
The cape was a pain in the butt to make. In order to get the tentacle bits to not curl it needed some hardcore interfacing but using interfacings in something so curvy and pointy is a pain. It took me an entire day to get that all set in. But I am happy with the results. Also really like how the painted crown came out but I have no pics of her back. :x


As for how it goes on... Let us just say that those little gold bits that pull at the keyhole opening cannot in fact hold that sucker on. There's no way, not without pulling the keyhole out of shape. And there's no buttons or pins or anything. She clearly must be using magic but I don't have Huntress magic. So it gets safety pinned to my bra straps. The little fake gold clip bits keep the cape permanently attached to the shirt (via safety pins).


The riding crop is made from scraps of worbla all smushed together then rolled into the right shape and painted. It's a little hefty but free/a good use for the box of worbla scraps which I still have plenty of.

Series: RWBY
Construction Time: 2 weeks
Cost: ~$50
Materials and Construction: Epic Cosplay wig, hair donut, light green bobby pins, sateen (black), purple lining, gold fabric paint, craft weight interfacing, safety pins, worbla, gold acrylic paint, rayon/lycria (white and black), bronze pin, earrings, teardrop charm, gold buttons, skirt (knee length heavier weight for winter and mini with lace for summer), leggings (thermal for winter and purple snakeskin for summer), socks, boots, black spray paint and silver acrylic paint.
Debut: Ikkicon 2013
Final Appearance: Still in Rotation

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you still maintain this, but I was wondering how you made the cape? I've been trying to figure out how to do the stitching without it showing, but it seems like everything I've come up with is insanely time consuming or it will cause it to not lay flat. Any ideas would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete